Brushed and flat: When a project gets moving, sometimes it takes a while for it to show its character. When we built up the motor for this bike, it was built around a good cam, porting, carbs, etc. It was a race motor alone on the bench. As we started to build up the bike around it, the function started steering the form. With the PW3 cam and the ported head it was clear a good exhaust would be necessary. During a shop visit one day, owner Peter Billow looked at a few of the race bikes within and asked about the idea of a Maney exhaust. Certainly not unheard of for a street bike, but off the menu, for sure. But we know by now that Steve Maney's exhaust and the PW3 care are the perfect marriage, fantastic for mid-range, the power band where a street bike is used [...]
The NRE 750 motor has some unusual spacing dimensions, so careful alignment is in order. Shims and custom spacers are used to get everything in its proper place. It all starts with getting the motor and gearbox aligned in the chassis. Then, the clutch must align with the crank pulley. Spacer there, moving it outboard a bit for true belt run. Then onto gearbox-to-rear sprocket alignment. A very handy laser alignment tool aids in locating the rear hub to its proper place for a perfect chain-run to the countershaft sprocket. Easy and accurate, but after all this, chain-to-tire clearance can be an issue, especially when running 130mm-width tires. We had the clearance necessary without much ado. If not, the next solution would have been to move the countershaft sprocket outboard, or perhaps an even more radical solution; moving the drive-side engine plate outboard by spacing between the motor [...]
Looking good, feeling good. We had to work to make it happen, but the Magyar NRE 750 was shoveled in to fit to its Seeley MKII frame. A little-known factoid about these motors: The case mounting-bolt bosses are different widths and require appropriate shimming. No two of them are exactly the same dimensions, so a lot of attention was put into the plates to get it all into the Seeley and keep it perfectly lined up. This, and the ribbed oil galley under the timing cover was certain to foul the lower frame tube without careful placement. Happy to report about .100" clearance without much ado. The front plates are next. Much, much, so ever so much more to come on this one. See all posts on this build by clicking here: https://nycnorton.com//tag/nre/
Almost there. The first bike ever put onto the track by us has been almost completely resurrected (with a few upgrades, tweaks, fabrication details, etc). Today the primary cover mounting system was fabbed and the cover installed. Tomorrow, maybe a chain, some safety wire, and a few dyno pulls. We'll see. This is an Open GP/BEARS bike, through and through. Expect to be seeing it on the track again this year.
It's been hush hush, for no reason other than the details needed to be hammered out. Now... consider them hammered. Our long-time friend, mentor, techie, and fellow racer John Magyar put in the order for not one, but TWO complete Seeley-framed bikes, the likes of which haven't been seen. Read on. On Tuesday, February 14th, a crate the size of an NYC studio apartment arrived at Spannerland, having made its way across the Atlantic from Minnovation Racing. The crate was actually smaller than some of our past deliveries, but inside was nothing but twice the fun. In this photo, actual likenesses of Mick and Martin from Minnovation Racing. Silly boys. As the packing material was pulled away, the motorbike porn begins to shine through Voila! Two NYC Norton-spec Minnovation Racing Seeley MK2 chassis are pulled from the crate. Folks, rest assured you are looking at something you won't get [...]
Up on the bench for the last while has been a project very near to us - the first NYC Norton racer. The bike started life as a mild-steel road-going Featherbed-framed ES2, and after several years of development and upgrades, became the 750cc beast that propelled Kenny to his first BEARS championship in 2007. It was sold to finance the first Seeley. The new owner commissioned us to build it back to its former glory, and then some. Good to have it back, even temporarily. It is still the benchmark on building up a competitive vintage racer using most of its components found on production street bikes. The bodywork is out for paint, and there are a few loose ends to tie up, but it's 90% home. There will be a blog update with all the specs, mods and changes in the near future.