The Norton Commando is the foundation of NYC Norton.
When the Commandos left the factory in the late ’60s and early ’70s they inserted themselves into our motorcycling world as one of the sexiest and most powerful British bikes to bloom from the dwindling UK industry. The years have shown some of their weaknesses, and NYC Norton has focused on developing elegant ways to remedy many of the quirks and keep our beloved Commandos on the road, at the front of the pack.
Our mantra is simple and must be done in order: Make them handle, make them stop, make them go.
Once we’ve achieved this purpose we can focus on the polish and paint.
Every bike that rolls out of our shop is unique to each client’s particular desires; some want a traditional restoration with reliability modifications, others, a completely custom aesthetic. Some may want a street-fighter with twice the power originally intended by these machines. Whatever the vision, there are no rules.
NYC Norton instills craftsmanship and skill that we believe is second to none in this business. The time and passion put into beach build maintains a level of quality that may exclude some who are looking for a quick fix or a corner cut.
For more information on the process of resurrecting your Commando, please call or email.
Some key build options may include:
- Motor completely built from the crank, up, to NYC Norton spec
- Head decked for increase in compression
- Head porting. Big/reangled valves
- Various camshaft upgrades
- Amal 932 Premier Concentrics, Keihin FCR, or others, tuned to head and cam
- Tri-Spark Ignition
- NYC Norton custom rearsets and handmade mounting plates fitted for Commando
- NYC Norton alloy yokes with pinch-bolt tops allowing infinite adjustability of ride height
- Cosentino Fork Internals
- Alloy rims, stainless spokes
- Vernier Isolastics
- Rod End Headsteady
- Show paint and polish on all components
- Frame and ancillaries powdercoated
- All NYC Norton recommended modifications (Crankcase breather, swingarm, tach drive, gearbox oil seal, oil tank reinforcement, etc)